This policy may be updated from time to time. Last updated 4 April 2017.
We value the diverse opinions expressed at The Well.
Comments should be relevant to the article and expressed in considerate language. As a general rule, we recommend that you do not write anything to someone that you wouldn’t say to them in person. We request that commenters take care not to monopolise a conversation, particularly on heavily commented threads.
All comments on The Well are moderated before publication. Therefore, please expect a delay between posting your comment and it appearing on the site. Please note that The Well is staffed by volunteers.
Material that will not be published
We will make every effort to not publish comments that include:
- Links to products or services for sale.
- Material that breaches copyright, including moral rights.
- Deliberately inflammatory or off-topic remarks (“trolling”).
- Personal insults towards others, including authors of articles and other comments on the site.
- Threats, including threats to sue someone for defamation.
- Hate speech – material that is bigoted in any way, including but not limited to material that is sexist, racist, antisemitic or amounts to any kind of racial vilification as defined in the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001 (Vic) or the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cwlth).
- Identity theft – impersonation of a real and known identity.
Comments suspected of breaking the law (particularly threats of violence, hate speech, and identity theft) will be referred to the police.
Privacy and information collection
Comments posted on The Well require a name and email address. The name need not be your real name or full name, but should be used consistently throughout the site. The email address is not displayed on the site, shared with third parties, or used for any marketing purposes, but is visible to The Well staff and may be used to communicate with you if required. If you choose to comment, your IP address will be recorded. The use of multiple pseudonyms from one IP address may result in a site-wide ban.
Contact the editor
You can contact The Well’s staff about any of the above at firstname.lastname@example.org.